Funding and Auspice
Deadly Sport Gippsland has been funded by the Victorian Department of Health as part of the Koolin Balit strategy and is auspiced by GippSport.
GippSport is one of nine Regional Sports Assemblies in Victoria and aims to support grassroots sport & recreation; encourage participation in active recreation; encourage access for all; create welcoming & inclusive clubs; and importantly promote health through sport. Visit the GippSport webpage.
Program Aims and Outcomes
Deadly Sport Gippsland aims to encourage and support positive lifestyle change among the Aboriginal community by promoting sporting role models, activities and events using social media. The purpose of the program to:
- To deliver population based health promotion social marketing campaign reaching large proportion of the Gippsland Aboriginal population.
- Improve healthy lifestyle factors with related benefits to prevalence of chronic disease, cancer and other health conditions – and ultimately increased life expectancy.
- Build the capacity of local sporting and health organisations to engage the Aboriginal community in Health self-management and lifestyle modification through use of technology and social media.
- Secure key Aboriginal community events that promote physical activity and participation in sport.
Key outcomes from the project include:
- Documented Social Marketing and Communication Strategy – key Health Messages and communication mechanisms.
- Aboriginal Sporting Events across Gippsland are financially secure, have significant reach and engage a broad cross section of the Aboriginal community.
- Online Media productions that promote health – 1 per week
- Calendar of Events
- Increased online presence of Health & Sport organisations